Common Questions - Fundraising
The Baywood PTA funds social, emotional and academic programs that enrich the lives of our teachers and students at Baywood. Parents financial support through fundraising events make it possible for the PTA to pay for additional teaching resources, library hours, art and music, technology and many other engaging programs that help our kids grow and thrive!
Our Librarian Mrs. Fournier, 8 Academic Classroom Aides, Art with Mrs. O, Music with Miss Elaine, Weekly technology instruction with Mr. Oxendine, Lunch supervision, Traffic safety monitors, 2 Learning Intervention Teachers, 4th & 5th Grade Electives, Social Emotional Learning Program, Reading Specialist, Family Math Nights, Science Fair, School-wide Talent Show, Literacy Week, Arts & Science Day, New Library books, English Language Development Program with Mrs. Kiniris, Playworks
The student/teacher ration is set by the school district acting on State mandates and funding. Baywood PTA pays for certain academic aides and resource teachers. This funding allows teachers to work with smaller groups of students in 3 ways:
1) Rotating groups- Each classroom is split on a rotating basis. While half the class is attending PE, computer lab, or at the library, the other half of the class focuses on Math or Language Arts. This program helps our teachers cover the core curriculum and meet the individual needs of our students.
2) Targeted intervention- This program assists students who need additional time to achieve their academic goals. The effect is to improve the student/teacher ratio during that time.
3) Additional academic aides- These aides assist teachers with core curriculum and small group instruction.
According to the County of San Mateo, in fiscal year 2017, 45% of County property taxes were distributed to school districts. The San Mateo Foster City School District had adopted a parcel tax in 2012 (Measure A) that had a sunset provision whereby it expired in fiscal year 2017. Unfortunately, Measure X was on the ballots in 2016 to extend the parcel tax did not garner enough votes to pass. A few years ago the California Board of Education approved the Local Control Funding Formula proposed by Governor Brown and approved by the state legislature in 2013. Under the plan, all districts receive base funding, but additional funds are distributed based on student socio- economic status. The funds raised by the Baywood PTA provides critical funds that supplement the public monies generated by the District by sponsoring needs unique to our Baywood community.
The SMFCEF is a non-profit organization that raises funds and pays for District wide programs to further student achievement. In the past, the Foundation (formerly known as forkids!) funded school library hours and fifth grade instrumental music at District schools. The SMFCEF is a separate and distinct entity from the individual school-centric PTAs.
First, all contributions are welcome and valued. Second, the $800 per student guideline represents the full-year fundraising goals by the Baywood PTA. If spreading payments out through the year is an option for your family, please use the installment plan to design a plan that’s comfortable for you. Finally, each contribution – whether to Baywood PTA Fall Drive or to another fundraiser helps us to fulfill our commitments to the students at Baywood for the resources they need to learn. We deeply appreciate all contributions.
ALL contributions are welcome and valued. Truly! The dollar amount is a guideline, NOT a requirement. There are a variety of ways that families contribute which is what makes the Baywood community what it is....... not a one-size fits all. Any and all dollar contributions are welcome and garners membership to the PTA. Equally as valued are items for sale at the Auction, volunteer hours at our events or in the classroom, purchases of logo wear, designating the PTA as your charity of choice for eScrips or Amazon Smile. Every dollar and volunteer hour makes a difference!!!
You should contact your company’s HR office or check your company intranet to initiate the company match process. Your company may ask you for the following information to complete the match: date of donation, donation amount, and Baywood’s PTA Tax ID number (23-7017555). If we have not heard from you within a few weeks, we may contact you to see if we can assist you in securing these critical matching funds.
Any donation qualifies your family for PTA membership.
In recent years, Baywood’s fundraisers have been streamlined to reduce the burden on families throughout the year. The Fall Drive offers families the opportunity to support the PTA programming directly through cash contributions. The Spring Auction is a community event that provides nearby businesses an opportunity to support the Baywood community and provides our parents with some solid fun!
No. There is a password protected on-line directory available on the PTA Website. In addition, you can access the full directory by downloading the app MTK Mobile onto your mobile devices (iOS & Android).
A Fundraising Task Force, comprised of four parent volunteers (not on the PTA Board), was established in May 2017 with the objective of providing a thoughtful and holistic review of our annual fundraising strategy. The Task Force conducted a survey in the spring to check the pulse of our community.
1) There is a general appreciation and understanding of the need for Baywood Fundraisers and the volunteers and donors who make them successful. With that said, there is still a need for the PTA to improve communication and transparency around how fundraising dollars are allocated.
2) The steps taken to reduce the sheer volume of fundraisers three years ago has been well-received—Two major fundraisers per year feels like the right mix to help achieve our financial goals without overwhelming families. Continue to refine the two major fundraisers (Fall Drive and Auction) to be more inclusive and emphasize community building.
3) Reduce or remove emphasis on promoting individual contribution levels.
4) Many families enjoy the Auction, while some feel it could be more inclusive. Explore ways to make the Auction inclusive to ALL Baywood families interested in participating and reduce the intensity of Auction volunteer/donation requests without reverting back to the need for additional fundraising requests.
1) The Board and fundraising teams are already taking steps to incorporate this feedback into our efforts. Throughout the year we will roll out a messaging campaign to highlight programs and activities that are funded through the Fall Drive and Auction to inform how fundraising dollars are used for critical programs and activities throughout the year. You will see this right away with our Fall Drive communications focus and throughout the year across other programs.
2) This year we will not be posting individual giving amounts for Fall Drive, but instead recognizing ALL families for their contributions since every dollar counts and is appreciated.
3) We plan to better promote our annual spring gifting meetings to make sure anyone who wants to participate can do so. All PTA members (anyone who contributes any amount to Fall drive is a PTA member) can attend and have a voice in these annual meetings which are the forum we use to determine allocation of PTA funds across Baywood programs and service.
4) The 2018 Auction team has already kicked off efforts to look at ways to streamline donations and activities and we will continue to refine the experience for 2018 and beyond. The Auction team and fundraising task force is also exploring ways to expand and enhance the different components to be more inclusive (and fun!) to encourage participation of any kind.
As more fully explained in the "Website/Systems" Common Questions, the Baywood PTA changed payment processor vendors from Greater Giving to PayPal. Initial receipts did not have the tax information and the Baywood EIN. So we have added this information and re-issued any incomplete receipts. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you did not receive a proper receipt, please write to Treasurer@baywoodpta.org.
Yes. Donors are given credit for their entire donation which includes corporate matching designated to the Baywood PTA.
Yes. We will be able to deposit the check to the Baywood Elementary PTA account. Once your donation is processed, a receipt will be automatically generated and sent to your email address.
All our payments are processed through PayPal. If you would like change your payment methods for an existing order, please contact PayPal at 1-888-221-1161 and you do not need to have a PayPal account. Need further help? Please contact FinancialSec@baywoodpta.org.
In your credit/debit card statement, PTA Card Reader transactions will appear as "PP*BAYWOOD PTA" and the PTA Website transactions will appear as "PAYPAL *BAYWOOD PTA". To get help with any website transactions, please contact FinancialSec@baywoodpta.org. For the card reader transactions, please reach out to PayPal at 1-888-221-1161 and you do not need to have a PayPal account. PayPal would ask for your full credit/debit card number to track the transaction and provide further assistance. If you need further help with your card reader transactions, please contact FinancialSec@baywoodpta.org with your transaction ID (should be in your receipt or ask PayPal).